SantaCon is a loosely organized, flexible event.
SantaCon is free, but Santa wants you to bring donations for the Lawrence Humane Society and Ballard Community Services. Cash is preferred—$5 per person goes a long way and is a lot easier for Santa to carry than boxes full of stuff. The Sandbar will have a donation box available.
You must be 21 to participate in this event. If you’re not 21, you’re welcome to parade around downtown Lawrence with the other Santas, however you may not enter the bars.
To accommodate Santas who can’t be on time, Santa has a schedule.
- 2 p.m. The Sandbar for the KU vs. Utah basketball game (tip off is 2:15 p.m.)
- 4:30 p.m. Dempsey’s (immediately following the KU game)
- 5 p.m. Optional field trip to the ice skating rink. If Santa doesn’t want to skate, stay at Dempsey’s.
- 5:30 p.m. Santas meet at the skating rink
- 5:45 p.m. The Granada
- 6:30 p.m. Shot stop at Fatso’s
- 7 p.m. Red Lyon Tavern
- 8 p.m. LeRoy’s
Santas will spend approximately 45 minutes to an hour at each bar, with time allotted in between bars for spreading good cheer on Massachusetts Street. There will be designated Santas to let everyone know when it’s time to move on to the next bar. Please pay attention to the Santa in charge. SantaCon is more fun when large groups of Santas stick together.